2016 National 5k SCADaddle
Saturday, April 30, 2016
The 2016 national chip-timed run/walk marked our fifth annual 5K in Illinois. This year’s SCADaddle for Research once again took place at Danada Forest Preserve, Wheaton, IL. Participants from across the US and a survivor from Sweden ran/walked on Danada’s USATF certified crushed limestone course. More than 325 participants registered including over 40 survivors.
Planning for the 5K began shortly after the conclusion of the 2015 5K and culminated with two early packet pick-ups and a 6:30 am set up by volunteers on April 30. Check-in and walk-in registration began at 7:30 am. The 5K starting horn sounded at 9:00 am.
This year’s 5K included:
- A silent auction with such items as a weekend getaway in Door County, Chicago sports teams’ tickets, paintings, jewelry, gift certificates and much, much more.
- Refreshments provided by local merchants while waiting for the top winners overall and by age category male/female finishers and male/female overall timing to be announced.
- Awards and recognition for winners in various age categories ranging from ages 9 and under through ages 80 and over
- A SCAD Store with 5K mugs and t-shirts, beautiful jewelry made by survivor Shelley Simonton, plus other SCAD Research mementos.
- The opportunity to meet numerous Mayo Clinic SCAD Research Program researchers and staff
- Fun for all despite cool and rainy weather
A special thank you to the 5K and Survivor Reunion Planning Committee: Carol Zich, Laura Meyer, Deb McGarry, Meghan Scheiber and Cheryl Crissman.
Other survivors and SCAD Research supporters walked virtually. Some virtual survivors organized local walks in solidarity with the national and New Jersey run/walk.
SCADaddle for Research sponsors were secured to help defray costs, provide food and items for the silent auction.
Mayo Clinic SCAD Research Program Presentation
A high-point for survivors and those impacted by SCAD was the research presentation which followed at Edward Hospital, Naperville, IL. This year attendees enjoyed meeting and hearing about the latest research findings from a number of the researchers from the Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) SCAD Research Programs:
- Sharonne Hayes, MD: Mayo Clinic SCAD Research Program Team Lead and Chair of our Scientific Advisory Committee
- Marysia Tweet, MD: Co-creator of Mayo Clinic SCAD Registry, Senior Cardiology/Fellow
- Timothy Olson, MD: Principle investigator on the Genetic Investigations in SCAD (DNA biobank)
- Jeanne Theis, PhD: Research Scientist in SCAD DNA Research
- Kevin Cohoon, MD: Vascular Specialist with Primary Expertise in FMD
Also attending from Mayo Clinic SCAD Research Program was Jill Boyum (SCAD Research Study Coordinator) and Cindy Allen (Dr. Hayes long-time assistant).
For the first time, the Mayo Clinic SCAD Research Program presentation was streamed live and recorded. You can watch the live stream on our YouTube channel. Thank you board member Dave McGarry for making the streaming of the presentation a reality.
For additional highlights of the 2016 SCADaddle for Research visit us on Facebook.
Supporting, Patron and Partner Sponsors
A special thank you to this year’s sponsors especially our Supporting, Sporting Goods Retail Sponsor and Partner Sponsors.
Sporting Goods Retail Event Sponsor
|Dugan & Lopatka
|Wells Street Popcorn
Downers Grove, IL
|Granite City Food & Brewery
Along with Wells Street Popcorn, we would also like to recognize our sponsors who have been our sponsors since our first 5K in 2012:
- Art by Lynnea, Arlington Heights, IL
- Capitis Media, Countryside, IL
- J Meyer and Associates, Naperville, IL
- PNC Bank, Naperville, IL